pcmcia-modules troubles on bootup

[please reply off-list also, as not subscribed to debian-devel]

I (part) upgraded testing on my Toshiba Satellite laptop yesterday, and
noticed it was putting in two new kernel images (2.4.24 & 25), with
associated pcmcia-modules.

OK -- I followed all the on-screen instructions, and then re-booted as
requested.

Bummer.

Machine gets to:

   Starting PCMCIA services: Linux Kernel Card Services 3.1.22
   PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 02:04:0
   PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin B of device 02:04:1

 .. and locks solid.

All attemepts to boot from a rescue disk give pretty much the same
result.  Fortunately, I've got a copy of Fedora on the laptop as well,
so I can get to the Debian partition that way.  Can anyone help in
telling me what to kill and whereabouts in the boot process, to stop the
machine from even thinking about attempting to suss the two card slots?
(Getting the card slots operational is a problem I can sort later.
I don't even really need them, as the machine is usually networked, and
I would only ever use one slot anyway, for a modem in lieu.)

Any and all help appreciated.  (Kernel images were successfully upgraded
- no problem there.)
mwheeler@startext.co.uk                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/