Re: closing upstream bugs with debian/changelog

On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 09:11:54PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:

> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > If the Debian changelog is going to be used to close bugs in the Debian
> > BTS, it needs to explain why those bugs are being closed.  The above
>
> I understand that you set yourself at a standard above the rest of us
> which is all good, but this is not how the majority of Debian developer
> operate.
>
> The majority of them are happy with the notion of closing a bug by
> sending a message to xxxxxx-done@bugs.debian.org outlying the version
> number of the package that it is fixed in.

I do not think you can claim to represent a majority of Debian developers in
this matter, and I doubt that you have surveyed any significant number of
them to support your argument.

As a data point, most of the developers with whom I have discussed the
subject disagree with you.

> Besides, you can also provide the explanation by posting them to the
> BTS directly.  Granted this is not as convenient as slipping them into
> the Debian changelog, but alas we don't put things in the Debian
> changelog just because it is convinient.

No, we put things there because they help us to keep a useful record of
changes to the package.

Even if you don't think that the additional information is useful, others
do, and the changelog is for their benefit as well as yours.

--
 - mdz