Re: Getting newer kernels into stable

Scripsit Andrew Pollock <debian-lists-2004@andrew.net.au>
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 01:06:29PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:

> > Its control file looks perfectly ordinary. Which feature in it
> > triggers the non-standard apt behavior you claim to exist?

> I think what happens is when there's a new kernel, a new version of this
> package is also uploaded with a control file that references the newer
> kernel package.

As I have already explained, that will *not* make 'apt-get upgrade'
install the newer kernel package automatically. RTFM, please:

     upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages
     currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in
     /etc/apt/sources.list.  Packages currently installed with new
     versions available are retrieved and upgraded; UNDER NO
     CIRCUMSTANCES are currently installed packages removed, or
     PACKAGES NOT ALREADY INSTALLED retrieved and installed. ...

My emphasis. Which part of "under no circumstances" does one of us not
understand?

--
Henning Makholm                                "Anything you can discover we
                                             would be most happy to review."