Re: Summary: binary firmware in the kernel

On Apr 02, Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> wrote:

> Let me try to summarize the different opinions in this thread:
>

> 1. a 300 kB binary firmware is DFSG-free
>
> 2. binary firmware must go to non-free
> this implies that the installer will no longer be able to install Debian
> on several computers
>
> 3. acknowledge that binary firmware is required, and make an
>    exception for it
>

> Please correct me if an important opinion is missing.

4) Acknowledge that the DFSG apply only to code executed on the host CPU
and not to code/data executed on peripherals, and distribute the
firmware files in main if we are allowed to do it (this may require
clarification of GPL-related issues and possibly moving the firmware
data to user space).

--
ciao, |
Marco | [5526 in0zh5.kjc/c.]