Re: Renaming packages

Evan Prodromou <evan@debian.org> schrieb:

> I'm closing these three bugs asking for a rename of the packages
> terminal, imageviewer, and projectcenter.
>
> Sorry for the list noise; the bug reporter used what appears to be a
> fake email address to report these bugs,

Did you _check_ that? Many people use such addresses for real
communication.

> The software installed by Debian package "terminal" is called
> "Terminal". The software installed by Debian package "imageviewer" is
> called "ImageViewer". The software installed by the Debian package
> "projectcenter" is called "ProjectCenter". Naming packages according
> to the upstream software title is, I believe, a suggested practice.

At least for terminal emulators it is practice to _not_ use the name
"terminal", but rather xterm, wterm, aterm, rxvt, etc.pp. If I read
"terminal" as a package name, I expect it to be either a virtual package
provided by one of these, or something connected to a real physical
terminal. However, it seems it's only irritating, but doesn't hurt,
since xterm will always be available if xfree86 is installed - thus no
virtual package is needed.

> In other words: I don't think anything here is technically defective
> nor out of order with Debian policy. I don't think there's anything
> misleading or conflicting.

For the other two: ACK. However, it might be a good "advertising" to
have gnustep in the package names

frank@alhambra:~$ apt-cache --names-only search gnome | wc -l
    146
frank@alhambra:~$ apt-cache --names-only search gnustep | wc -l