Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

Alle 11:09, giovedì 1 aprile 2004, Philip Brown ha scritto:
> On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 08:25:48AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > > And as far as documentation goes: Gentoo has a beautiful step by step
> > > manual on how to get the system up and running. You don't even have to
> > > dig for it. It is right there for you. Could not say the same about
> > > Debian. Debian rather tells you that they do not need a beginner like
> > > you.
> >
> > Come on. Do you think that a system that insists on compiling everything
> > from source on every upgrade is suitable for linux beginners?
>
> I think it says a lot, that a system that [isnt designed for linux
> beginners] was still more "beginner friendly" than debian, in this case.

Why everyone always says Debian isn't "beginner friendly"? I don't think it is
more difficult than any other linux distro to set up, at least that was my
personal experience as a newbie, coming from the W*****s world. About 1.5
years ago I first decided to try Linux. My father had Red Hat 8 installed on
his laptop, but he suggested I tried Debian on my own box. I downloaded all 7
Woody cds and installed it. Yes, you understood it right. A Windows user (as
I was back then) had made a successful install [1] using the dreaded,
often-bashed, always-badly-reviewed boot-floppies so, probably, it can't be
so bad after all. I even got xfree86 set up without banging my head against
the wall for more than a few hours and, after that, kde just worked. Of
course, after a few months, I had the problem of dealing with a slightly
outdated distro, but nothing a few selected backports couldn't handle.

Now, I'm not claiming Debian is perfect. It isn't, because it has some
problems (slow releases being the most important one: Woody is now more than
slightly outdated). But it also isn't the newbie-eating monster you can read
of in many reviews.

[1] Actually, there is a trick. I knew by name every single piece of hardware
on my computer, so it was no trouble picking the modules for my network and
audio card by hand as required. Probably lack of hardware detection is the
single most hated "feature" of b-f. Anyway, d-i will really help here.

---
friendly,
Mario