Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 01:50:43PM -0600, Chris Cheney wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 11:31:49AM -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 10:58:56PM -0600, Chris Cheney wrote:
> >
> > > Hopefully the multiarch support in Debian can get off the ground soon
> > > before we lose too many more users.
> >
> > We don't need multiarch in order to support amd64; in fact I would
> > personally prefer a straight amd64 port.
>
> I have heard in the past that for amd64 port to be allowed into the
> archive requires multiarch to be ready. If that has changed I will be
> very happy, since I have two amd64 boxes myself, and know several other
> people with them wanting to run Debian.

I'm not quite sure where that came from...  from what I've heard lately,
the requirement is that we will be able to move to multiarch once it
shows up.  While multiarch is still in such an infancy that we don't
have a great deal to go on for such a plan, everyone seems committed to
it and I believe that it wouldn't be too difficult.

-- John