Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

Philip Brown <phil@bolthole.com> writes:
> > Come on. Do you think that a system that insists on compiling everything
> > from source on every upgrade is suitable for linux beginners?
>
> I think it says a lot, that a system that [isnt designed for linux
> beginners] was still more "beginner friendly" than debian, in this case.

If it's true, of course.  I've heard many people comment on how flaky
and full-of-traps-for-beginners gentoo is, as _well_ as people full of
praise for how _easy_ it is.

One is inclined to be skeptical -- gentoo advocates are not exactly
known for careful studied analysis...

-Miles
--
Occam's razor split hairs so well, I bought the whole argument!