Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

Hi, Sean Harshbarger wrote:

> It would be nice to have support for optimized
> binaries. IMHO it would help Debian out a lot.

As far as I recall, the performance gains from compiling everything with
your-favorite-optimizer-settings aren't _that_ great -- typically smaller
than what you'd gain by waiting a couple of months before buying your
computer.

If you have a performance problem, recompiling the pieces that actually
are too slow is still faster than to wait for your box to compile
*everything*. For myself, however, I fail to see the point.

(In a previous life, I ran an entire ISP on my own home-brew
Linux distribution. You might brand me as a masochist, but you can't
accuse me of not knowing whereof I speak. ;-)

--
Matthias Urlichs