Re: testing and no release schedule

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 05:21:59PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > > What management? That's exactly the point: Because Debian is a volunteer
> > > organization (or rather, because it's an unstructured volunteer
> > > organization), you can't tell people what to do.
> >
> > That's BS and you know it.
>
> No, it's not. No matter how much any orders or begs me to work on any
> particular item to help the release, I'm not going to do it, unless it's
> specifically related to my packages. I simply don't have the time.

There are penalties in Debian for not fulfilling one's responsibilities, just
like at any real job.  Yes, we can play semantic games and say 'nobody can
force you to do anything', but if you don't do your work at Debian you will
be marginalized in favor of those who do.

> Several maintainers are on the record as not caring about releases at
> all - unstable meets their needs.

But our priority is not the developers' needs.  Our priorities are our users
and free software.  Our users need frequent stable releases.  Developers
who state openly that they do not care about releases are in violation of
the Social Contract.

> I didn't say you needed to leave, I said you, or rather, those with all
> the bright ideas about how it could be better, should just get together
> a group and *do* it, rather than telling others what to do.

I can't do anything -- I don't have the power to freeze unstable or testing.
My only option is to appeal to those who do or start my own distribution.
You, apparently, would rather have me shut up or leave.

> time to start. It's too late to change sarge, but if you came with a
> proposal and an actual plan to achieve it for sarge+1, I bet there's a
> lot of people here who would at least consider it.

I'm not telling anyone what to do.  I'm participating in a discussion.

Someone complained that we can't release often due to supporting so many
architectures.  I offered a solution.  If you don't like my solution, come up
with a better one.

--Adam