Re: Proposal: /etc/friendlynames

I know what I'm going to do.  I'm going to write an additional package
which provides "/etc/friendlynames, update-friendlynames" by stealing
the code from dpkg.  My package 'tupim' by default will just be tupim.
It will suggest or recommend 'friendlynames', at which point then it
will also be known as 'pim'.  Nobody's hurt, everybody wins.  People who
hate it just won't install 'friendlynames'.

--------

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 12:17:12PM +0100, Florent Rougon wrote:
> knows it thinks tupim. When someone talks about tupim, everyone that
> knows it thinks about your program.
>
> Now, if an ubiquitous 'pim' program actually refers to 50 different
> programs, that is rather bad IMHO.

You're missing the point: tupim (or gnustep-viewpdf) continues to be its
real name.  As a mere convenience it can also be referred to as pim or
viewpdf.

> This particular problem (around 'pim') is both quite simple and
> unimportant for -devel. I will not discuss it any further.

See, that's that "800-pound gorilla" mentality at work: you are not
prepared to accept for some people what is blatantly around for others
(i.e., posix "file").

> On a side note, how about using your real name now or forgetting the
> idea of getting your package in the archive? It will be pretty hard to
> remain anonymous if you have a package in the archive.

I'm not trying to be anonymous.  My name is Tom Ballard, it's all over
the place.  I'm doing it out of a sense of freedom.  Freedom to conform
is useless.  It doesn't hurt you, don't tread on me.