Re: Problem on mipsel with upgrading libc woody->sarge

Karsten Merker writes:
>On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 08:03:42PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to set up chroots ready for buildds on a mipsel box, and
>> I'm having major problems.
>>
>> Due to limited hardware support in later kernels, I'm running a
>> patched 2.4.18 with all the usual security patches applied and the ipc
>> msgbuf patch from #200215 applied too. I don't think the patches are
>> relevant at the moment - running an older unpatched 2.4.18 shows
>> exactly the same symptoms.
>>
>> I'm setting up a chroot of woody using debootstrap, then chrooting
>> inside and doing a sarge upgrade. All goes smoothly until I upgrade
>> libc6. From that point onwards, package scripts consistently fail with
>> fatal errors. In a freshly-created chroot:
>
>Newer glibc versions on mipsel (and mips as well) unfortunately
>require current (as in >=2.4.19 for mipsel IIRC) kernels to work.
>With 2.4.18 it is impossible to run sarge or sid.
>
>You have not stated which kind of hardware you use, but from the
>kernel version you have I guess it is some Cobalt system. You can use
>2.4.24 from the Linux/MIPS CVS (2.4.25 should probably work as well)
>plus the Cobalt patches from http://www.colonel-panic.org/.
>With these patches and IDE DMA enabled we have found the kernel to
>work quite stable on a Qube2.

Just echoing what tbm said privately: no, it's an Algorithmics dev
board. I'm trying to work out what the needed patches are to make a
2.4.18 kernel work. I've already looked at the other option, which
would be to merge the hw support forward, and that's a _huge_ amount
of work.

"I've only once written 'SQL is my bitch' in a comment. But that code
 is in use on a military site..." -- Simon Booth