Re: A sensible plan for non-free

Mathieu Roy writes:
> The "Programs That Don't Meet Our Free-Software Standard" parts just look
> like an awkward addon to the Social Contract, just a notice of the
> failure of the DFSG to describe Debian activities.

It was an admission that _at_ _the_ _time_ there was non-free software
without which we could not produce a satisfactory integrated system.  This
is no longer true.

Unfortunately, now we have the documentation issue.

Ean Schuessler wrote:
> The change I suggest is that the non-free and contrib sections be
> protected by certificate authentication. Certificates will be distributed
> to 3rd parties who sign up as an official 3rd party distributor of the
> non-free and contrib sections. All developers will also be issued a
> certificate for development purposes. Beyond these groups no end user
> will be able to download non-free or contrib software from a Debian
> controlled server.

I see no point in this.  We would still be distributing and supporting
non-free software.  We'd just be doing it in a roundabout and awkward way.
Might as well stick with the status quo.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)