Re: Screw non-free.

Matthew Palmer wrote:
On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:19:05PM -0800, Erik Steffl wrote:

important (crucial?) advantage of debian is that when I apt-get install something the QA of debian is behind it and there's reasonable assurance that it will not screw the system, that the dependencies will be resolved etc. from experience I can see it is working fairly well, even in unstable.

[...]

in other words - it's not a convenience to have third party debs

It's not a convenience to provide our name to software we can't modify (for
practical or legal reasons) to fix bugs.  If software authors want Debian's
QA and integration testing, they can release under a DFSG-free licence.

  yes but so irrelevant to the point I wonder why do you include it here.

As an aside, considering the current state of some (most?) of the packages
in non-free, you won't be buying that much by having it on Debian's servers
anyway - not recently built, not built for most architectures, etc etc. Hardly a credit to Debian, and certainly not significantly better than what
you're describing with non-free as an external resource.

the point was that by being maintained by debian maintainers I can be reasonably sure that package is not going to screw my system (i.e. it will install and uninstall properly, obviously debian maintainers cannot rebuild or fix bugs not related to installation process).

btw I am not advocating having non-free, my point is that having non-free packages as part of debian is a lot different from having debian packages available from third party repositories.

	erik