Re: Screw non-free.

Hi Humberto,

Humberto Massa wrote:

Right now it's the "Java excuse". Some people were trying to remove java stuff from contrib, making it use jikes/kaffe, but I have no link right now nor do I know what is the status of the initiative.

We're working on this, it's progressing nicely and steady. See http://java.debian.net/index.php/MovingJavaToMain for the current status. If you want to help out, ask for directions on debian-java.

So far, with the recent successes (ant1.6, tomcat4, ofbiz, eclipse2 [1]), I'd estimate that the 'java excuse' may not be a valid one rather soon.

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1] Of course, there are bugs in the runtimes, just like in the JDK. Feel free to report them, or even send in patches. And in particular, in kaffe's case, there are several FTBFS problems on some platforms.