Re: [custom] Custom Debian Distros need the help from debian developers (continued)

I guess Mako will not complain if I bring this thead back onto the debian-devel
list...
In short about the contens of private discussion:  IMHO concerns of Custom
Debian Distributions should be discussed in a separate list while Make loves
to use debian-devel...

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:08:46PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> >
> > BMH> I'm not sure I agree. At Debconf last year the folks who were
> > BMH> presented decided it was a good idea to work with a [custom] tag
> > BMH> on devel because (1) our list had been rejected; (2) we didn't
> > BMH> think we needed yet another list and (3) there is still a lot of
> > BMH> communications that needs to be done between CDDs and the larger
> > BMH> Debian community.
> >
> AT> So why do we have these extra privat mails with several CCs?
>
> Because you started a thread offlist! It was onlist until you took it
> off!
Yes - because I was afraid I'm off topic here.  So let's people start
throwing stones at us. ;-)

> AT> I hate this and I expect more mails in CDD-issues which will bloat
> AT> debian-devel and on the other hands I expect people to subscribe who
> AT> would not like to read debian-devel ...
>
> That's a good point. This is why I think a mailing list will
> ultimately be a good idea. At this point, I still believe it will tend
> to distract from the type of larger project-wide educating we need to
> do. We're talking about defining processes by which we can make
> distributions *fully* within the Debian system. This may very well
> affect many, perhaps all, developers. Already many people (AJ for
> example) has gotten quite involved in conversations about the nature
> of CDDs but doesn't seem to have any interest in any CDD in
> particular.
>
> AT> I hate to explain over and over explaining random people who have no
> AT> idea about CDDs in long threads.  That's why I startet to write my
> AT> article and throw an RTFM on them.
>
> I think you should consider drafting this on the Wiki or in a series
> of wiki pages. So far this has worked very well for letting other
> people contribute to the document.
Hmmmm, you mean http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?CustomDebian  ?
I have to admit that I really want to be much more verbose and
that I do not really like this Wiki type of approach.  I plan to
put my article about CDD which is written in debiandoc-sgml
   http://people.debian.org/~tille/debian-med/talks/paper-cdd/
into a CVS repositor on Alioth once it is ready and I think this
is a more solid resource of information.  I was not only once asked
whether I could provide printable text of it (and I will for sure
once it is ready - there are all targets inside the Makefile).  How
to do this reasonably with the Wiki (well, once it has real content -
currently it fits on about two pages of paper) ...

Kind regards

        Andreas