Re: [debian-printing] Packaging of vendor PPD files.

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 19:57 +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On second thoughts, this might not be an issue.  The Gimp-Print PPDS
> are CUPS-specific.  That is, they are not *PostScript* printer
> descriptions, but are used as an interface to the rastertoprinter
> filter.  They are only useful with CUPS (or esp-gs) since this driver
> requires application/vnd.cups-raster image data as the input format.
>
> Basically, the printers don't accept PostScript natively, and rely on
> CUPS driver support.  They can be used on other systems which talk to
> a CUPS server, but I doubt they have a wider use than that.  Would
> these need to go in /usr/share/ppd?

No, I don't think so. In a strict sense, only real PPDs for Postscript
printers should go into /usr/share/ppd. But I'm a little unsure about
foomatic PPDs, these are in general not for Postscript printers but
they are compatible with different systems, not only CUPS.

--
Pelle