Re: run debian off usb flash drive

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 20:44, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 12:34, Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys@hp.com> wrote:
> > Note that jffs2 does very nice wear leveling
> > algorithms that are clear of those patents.
>
> JFFS2 is a nice file system.  Unfortunately it doesn't have XATTR support yet,
> so it can't be used for the new SE Linux.
>
> > Doing this on top of the IDE interface is possible (IIRC);
> > David Woodhouse would know for sure.  Setting up the mount
> > is a bit complicated, but doable.
>
> Interesting.
>
> It's a pity that they couldn't just make JFFS2 have an option to work like
> every other file system.  There are lots of cases where you want a JFFS2 file
> system on something other than a flash device.  For example when trying to
> recover files from a corrupted PDA, you can get the file system to a file on
> a desktop, but then can't do anything with it!

I also had some experiences with jffs2 on a PDA a few years ago (iPaq
with familiar linux), but no good ones. It was slow, and regularly got
corrupted beyond repair. I think it has improved in the mean time, but
of what I have heard so far, it is still slow. Probably too slow for my
48MHz PowerPC. I haven't tested it yet myself, though.

Greetings,
Oliver