Re: [Debian on the Grid]

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 02:42:45PM +1000, Paul Andreassen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been dreaming about an optimally compiled version of Debian for my
> Pentium 4 since installing Gentoo.  I know there would be little
> difference for almost all applications but some like Mozilla could do
> with a boost.
>
> Then I thought about compiling up my own version using a spare machine
> and putting it on the web.  But the cost of the Internet access at a
> decent pace would be too much.

I'm willing to host this repository - not that I really am going to use
it, but simply so that people who really want to try it out, and
apparantly some people really think it helps, can do so, and maybe one
can show off some statistics and benchmarks about the difference.

You'll then need to upload every package just once, and it will then be
available for everyone, apt-getteable (I think with debian pinning and
such, you can manage to setup apt to take optimized packages if
available, and from unstable/testing if not).

Anyone interested can contact me via private mail, a trusted key is
highly preferred.

> The simplest way to do this would seem to me to be to have a background
> application on each machine.  It would serve compiled packages on demand
> and compile packages when unavailable for local use.  There could be a
> Grid network for each of Stable, Testing and Unstable.

You won't need a grid if you use your newly created optimized Debian,
don't you ;-P ?

Seriously: as other people have argued, this is not a good idea, unless
those people are trusted. Hm, maybe I should setup 'katie' here, if
people are really interested.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar