Re: run debian off usb flash drive

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 03:54:00PM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 15:42, Marc Singer <elf@buici.com> wrote:
> > > 250 erases per day on a single is not a likely amount of load for a
> > > laptop provided that there is plenty of spare space.
> >
> > Single...what?  I suppose I wasn't clear in that this is 250 block
>
> Single block.
>
> > erases for a given block.  If the erase block is 128 KiB and you have
> > only one free block (heaven forbid) that would require writing 32 MiB
> > of data every day for a year before that block was unable to accept
> > another write.
>
> On my laptop 310M of data have been written over the last 15 hours (since the
> last boot).  I have not done any compiles, none of the big cron jobs have
> been run, and I have not done my daily update to unstable.
>
> At my current level of use if I had 20 free blocks I could expect an error
> after a year.

If you eliminate /var, /tmp, and email, do you still get 310MiB in 15
hours?

On a system that is receiving mail, I imagine that a USB fs isn't a
great idea.  However, I use a laptop as a diagnostic tool and for
attaching to the Internet through my client's networks.  In that case,
I don't do a lot of permanent writing to the local fs.