Re: udev device naming policy concerns

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 08:20:53PM +0000, Darren Salt wrote:
> FWIW, I'm running udev on my laptop without problems (kernel 2.6.2), but I'm
> not running it on my desktop boxes. I plan to continue to use 2.4-series
> kernels on one of them, but I'd quite like to run 2.6.x+udev on the other;
> however, devfs it is for now because the DVB drivers don't yet support sysfs.

Maybe not, but they work fine with static device nodes (gasp!).
I don't think the script to create them is packaged, but it's in the
source for dvb-utils IIRC, called MAKEDEV.napi or similar.

I suppose static /dev is unfashionable yet surprisingly functional.
I never did see a reason to try devfs.

Hamish