Re: udev device naming policy concerns

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 08:20:53PM +0000, Darren Salt wrote:
> Some people are using devfs and may be using devfs-style device names.
> Dumping these could break things for these people when they upgrade to udev,
> whereas retaining them gives these people a chance to play with udev without
> having to alter anything and revert to devfs if need be.

... and a lot of people never allowed devfs on their boxen.  "But I luurve
devfs names" is not a reason to go against the standards and common practice
alike.

Make it a debconf question if you really want it; making it a default, let
alone unconditional, has no excuses - standard compliance alone is enough
to make that a bug.