Re: bashisems in maintainer scripts.

On 04-Mar-04, 16:11 (CST), Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 09:55:50PM +0100, David Weinehall wrote:
> > I don't want to disallow them, I want to make bash non-essential, so
> > that a base-install doesn't install bash by default, thus allowing for
> > a smaller base-system, thus forcing the developers who really need them
> > to depend explicitly on bash.
>
> debconf is not essential.
>
> Try an
>   apt-get remove debconf
> on your computer.

Debconf doesn't have several near-gquivalent replacements. Bash does.

That said, I think efforts to make bash non-essential are pointless,
with effort better spent in other places. Contrariwise, a script that
begins with "#!/bin/sh" shouldn't be bash specific.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net