licensing confusion

Hey all,

  I know it belongs in debian-legal, but I'm not inclined enough to join yet
another mailing list which I will read few and far between, so I will take
the liberty to ask my question here.
  It's simple - how is it possible that most licenses used by free software
are incompatible [1] with GPL and yet debian mixes them in many projects it
distributes (like mozilla, php, apache to name the most prominent ones).
What are the rules to freely (as in freedom) use the other licenses which
are incompatible with GPL and to remain compatible with GPL without being
forced to use it in your own projects which you don't want to license under
GPL/LGPL? Does one have to obtain some kind of exemption from any of the
"sides"?

confused,

marek

[1] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses