On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 10:36:19PM +0100, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 08:48:38PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Anyway, when you admit that there is a basic reason for those complains,
> please make a proposal to solve the problem.

No, there's a reason why people make those complaints. I think it's that
they don't understand how Debian does, can and should work.

> I'm not interested in attacking people or getting polemic.

Then you shouldn't start or support threads saying "the behaviour of
these people is unacceptable and they need to change that behaviour or
be removed from these roles".

> I want to do my
> work as well as other people want. So, there should be a way found how
> everyone (ideally) can make their work.

Certainly; and there is a way. You help when you can, and you work
around the problems when you can't. If, eg, you're worried that the
buildds aren't coping and you're not invited to run a buildd yourself;
you can become a developer, and build and upload the packages that the
buildd misses yourself.

> Right now I've only heard arguments from "this side" to solve the problem:

That's because other people don't think that there is a problem.

> > Generally, I think being frank about what you think -- like saying
> > someone's acting like an idiot when you think they are -- is a good thing
> > in technical discussions. I doubt you'll find anywhere that I've said
> > otherwise. But when it crosses the line to constant complaints about
> > people and suggestions that the project would be better off without
> > their efforts, that's unacceptable, to my mind.
> The discussion came rather quick to that point that that was only meant in
> buildd related regards.

If this were the first such message ever, you'd have a point. See, eg,

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/debian-devel-200401/msg01629.html

from the 19th of last month.

Cheers,
aj