On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 05:59:35AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:18:14 +1100, Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> said:
> > Hang on, you're saying that Nathanel is an idle bystander?  I think
>
> 	Yes, I am.  If he is not working as a apprentice RM, he is an
>  idle bystander. As am I. As are you.  People who genuinely cared to

Oops.  He is working as an apprentice RM.

> > you need to wander around the l.d.o archives for a bit.  He knows
> > and does a hell of a lot more than some DDs.  He's active in QA, RM,
>
> 	So what?

Contributions, as you say so yourself.  Just pointing them out.

>  You seem to have the bee in your bonnet that somehow  there is a war
>  between DD's and non-DD's -- and this is not condusive to running the
>  project smoothly.
>
> 	Lose the chip on your shoulder, and come to this discussion
>  using logic, not emotions.

OK, I will.  I've seen the protagonists in this flame war criticised by
several people on the basis that they are not Debian developers.

Anthony Towns: "without even being willing to agree to the principles of the
project."

Anthony Towns again: "don't waste our time trying getting the DPL to dismiss
delegates when you're not either willing or able to pass through n-m."

Anthony Towns once more: "Good thing you're not a developer and thus don't
get any say, then."

Hmm, I can only seem to besmirch Anthony's character at present.  This
flamewar is too long for easy quote-finding.

At any rate, contributors to the project have been attacked for not being
DDs.  I think that at least suggests there may be some division there, which
is not good.

Ooh, I just thought of a nice quote - "The first step is admitting you have
a problem".

> > It saddens me that, even here, we can't deal with people on the
> > basis of merit, and instead form our cliques and shun outsiders.
>
> 	Merit is hard t gauge. Contribution is not. I deal with people
>  on the basis of "show me the code",  and past and present
>  contribution to the task.

Is analysis of the problem not a contribution?  It shows that you have some
understanding of the problem domain.  While you may not have the full range
of practical skills, shouldn't enthusiasm count for something as well?

I wonder if we could create a boiler.lists.debian.org?  Having it nice and
close to the mailing lists should provide enough heat transfer to run a
couple of turbines.  We could make the project self-sustaining - power all
our own machines, and sell power to surrounding areas of the Internet!
<grin>

- Matt