On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 10:23:52AM +0100, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> These people do not 'own' these jobs, do they?

Well, yes, they do, just as package maintainers 'own' their packages. The
people who do the work are the ones that get to make the decisions.

> I would say that debian
> as a project should decide if help is needed or not.

Certainly. The way we as a project decide is by deferring to the opinions
of the individuals doing the work.

> Based on some objective measure of 'doing the job' of course.

There aren't objective measures of such things -- there are too many
tradeoffs to be made (such as "is it worth adding a buildd to solve a
temporary problem when the machine doesn't have enough disk space to
work reliably"). So we make use of subjective measures by letting the
person or people with the most experience on the issue make the decision.

> I'm just saying that in a big project it shouldn't be the just guy
> doing the job who decides if he's doing a good job.

*shrug* Having inexperienced newcomers who aren't even members of the
project impeaching the guys on the job is a far worse alternative.

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004