Re: How much spam in the lists is "too much"?

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 07:51:38PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> Simple questions:
>
> How many spam and antivirus messages are required to reconsider our
> "decision" of keeping this list "open" to all? 90%? 50%? 40%? 10%? 5%?
> What would be the right "threshold" for that? Should we have a
> threshold at all? Have we reached the threshold? Who should decide
> about that and why? The listmasters? The subscribers? The readers of
> the group, including those who read via news? How many subscribers
> have stated their willingness to receive crap from this list? Is it
> really fair to favor non-subscribers, who do not even have to register
> in the whitelist to be able to post, over subscribers, who have to
> receive all the crap in their mailboxes?
[snip]

The spam doesn't bother me that much, mainly 'cos 99% of it gets caught by
my dual bogofilter/SA setup and goes straight into the spam box.

However, it *is* true that 95% of the spam I get comes from Debian mailing
lists.

I am not young enough to know everything. -- Oscar Wilde