Re: the XFree86 packages' UCF-like approach to configuration files

Anthony DeRobertis <asd@suespammers.org> wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2004, at 15:47, Andreas Metzler wrote:

>> * debconf data and the configuration in the actual file are not
>>   synced, as the file is not parsed. (Sucks if you don't backup
>>   /var/cache/debconf/config.dat)

> Considering /var/cache is allowed to arbitrarily emptied by the system
> administrator, it shouldn't be backed up and that sounds distinctly
> like a bug...

> Does exim4 just re-prompt if I empty /var/cache, or does it do
> something worse (and rc-buggy)?

It is supposed[1] to reprompt (because the questions are unseen) but with
the correct answers preselected, as debconf-db is preseeded with the
values in /etc/:
if [ -e /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf ] ; then
        . /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf || true
        # set defaults using these values
        storevar2db
... and the postinst-script saves the debconf data to /etc/e/u-e.c.c

This is basically copied from the debconf-devel manpage.
                   cu andreas

[1] I am using "supposed" because I have not actually tried what
happens if /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is deleted.
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_