Re: World Domination Plan - phase debtakeover

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 09:55:44AM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:17:39PM -0500, Simon Law wrote:
> > > will install only a base system, and it will not preserve the
> > > configurations (only backup them).
> > 	The best way to downgrade a system is to use apt-pinning.
> > I guess you could automate the process, though.
>
> No, that assumes the packages support downgrading, which they don't.

True but ... pinning actually works OK for most packages.

> The only way to downgrade a Debian system is to reinstall. This script
> does an install-and-switch, so on a Debian host that becomes a
> reinstall, which is the closest you'll ever get to a downgrade.

I wonder how this system address package name changes.  (e.g. coreutils)

If you have *WORKING* unstable system, I doubts why bother doing
downgrade.  For the broken system, fancy downgrade through
install-and-switch may not be the option.  (Besides, if it is working,
just run many chroot to test many environment for fun)

As for real life downgrade, I still think pinning is useful and works
mostly with minimum manual work.  See example of real trial by the user:

  http://people.debian.org/~osamu/downgrade.html

Osamu