Re: Debian Debconf Translation proposal ( again )

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 11:01:20PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 10:28:13PM +0100, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> >     2. The translators don't try to get their work included in Debian
> >        packages.  Instead they provide one package of their own, that
> >        they can occasionally release in sid if they want to.
>
> Didn't we do this at great length a year or two ago when the DDTP
> started up?

Yes; however, the DDTP did not live up to its promise. Having a
completely unreadable and unnavigatable website which makes the life of
package maintainers seeking to include the work posted there in their
packages, the DDTP was not as successful as it could have been. The
result was that those translations started to rot in the DDTP; given
that the point of the DDTP was to avoid translation bit rot from
happening, most translation teams stopped using the DDTP and started
filing bugs again.

While I understand the reasons for why this has happened (at least, I
hope I do :-) ), I still find this an unfortunate situation. Perhaps it
would be nice if the problematic parts of the DDTP could be addressed,
so that it could work as intended again.

(Not that I have time to work on any of this, but I think it's possible
and useful to do this)

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."