Re: World Domination Plan - phase debtakeover

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 07:15:52PM +0100, Roland Bauerschmidt wrote:
> Guillem Jover wrote:
> > I've made now publicly available the script[1] I've been working on
> > to substitute in runtime any distribution to Debian. It does not
> > convert in the sense of mapping all previous installed packages to
> > the Debian counterparts, but installs a base system or tarball and
> > cleans traces from previous distribution, from there you are in a
> > purified environment. =P
>
> Based on the files installed, it should also be possible to suggest
> which Debian packages to install (in most cases, at least). For example,
> if /usr/bin/lynx was previously installed, your script could search the
> Contents-arch file and suggest the lynx Debian package to be installed.
> I think that'd be really neat (as an option).

Sure! I could take all that is on {/usr,}/bin{s,} and search for packages
having them. My first though was to map every distro package but that
would be unrealistic, due to package name changes, and all distro
differences. But for now the configuration will not be preserved, this
would mean again to have a DB mapping files and packages, anyway it will
be on the ondisk /etc tarball backup.

thanks,
guillem