Re: MIA, Incompetent and holiday-loving maintainers (was: Request for NMUs.)

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 03:24, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 00:22:16 +0100, Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org>
> wrote:
> >* David Palmer. (david@weavers-web.org) [040105 00:10]:

> >> What would the minimum competency requirement and qualifications
> >> required to become a maintainer?
> >
> >Well, this was not about "required to become a maintainer", but "what
> >qualifies a package that it should enter the debian archive". At the
> >moment, there is just one written criteria, and that is "DFSG-free"
>
> And it has happened more than once that a new package was rejected by
> the ftpmaster after a lot of work was invested into the package. This
> is bad, and waste of resources.
>
> There should be an interface to get ftpmaster pre-approval before more
> work is done on a package.

At least as I understand it, this is one of the points of Cc-ing the ITP
to debian-devel. However, I know this can often get lost in the huge
amount of traffic. Maybe a debian-itp with just the ITPs themselves is a
good idea? Any discussion can then take place on -devel, or in private
emails to the ITPer.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>