Re: [debian-devel] Re: MIA, Incompetent and holiday-loving maintainers (was: Request for NMUs.)

A levelezőm azt hiszi, hogy Andreas Barth a következőeket írta:
> Well, this was not about "required to become a maintainer", but "what
> qualifies a package that it should enter the debian archive". At the
> moment, there is just one written criteria, and that is "DFSG-free".

I have always thought that "conforming to debian policy" is also
a criterium.
This brings up an idea: what if a cronjob would delete all packages
which have an RC bug since <a period of time> from testing and unstable,
and also would delete all dependant packages from testing?

This would mean sitting on the other side of the horse: we would rarely
look at the number of RC bugs, but more often at the number (and name)
of packages left. I see two advantages:
-A package dropped off would constitue a good excuse for NMUing
-Release cycles could be shorter, as the number of RC bugs would
 be low at any given time: whenever the main release goals are met,
 it would take a short freeze period to bring the distribution in
 shape: close the few RC bugs, and bring back those packages which
 are important enough to make someone do an upload. (*Voice from the
 background murmuring the first mantra: Release Early, Release Often!*)

Now you can call me extremist if you like:)

I think that setting high standards against Debian developers is not
something we should fear. Being Debian developer is a rank one should
have to earn. Think about the reputation of kernel developers, and the
scrutiny every line of kernel code goes through. Do we lack kernel
developers? No. Do we lack Debian developers? Quite the opposite:
look at nm.debian.org.

--
GNU GPL: csak tiszta forrásból