Re: Water and Fire (was: MIA, Incompetent and holiday-loving maintainers)

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 02:44:19PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 09:21:25PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> > But as far as I can tell, nagging Debian Developers *is* usually
> > effective.  Interesting.  :-)
>
> Just don't get carried away with it :) One important thing to notice is
> that many will start (subconsciously or otherwise) ignoring nagging from
> you if you don't eventually start to dig in and do some of that work
> yourself.

I think that tracking down problems with packages and bringing them to the
attention of the maintainers is hard and valuable work.  Sure as hell Nathanael
has dug up a pile of problems that I don't think I, for one, ever would have
found.  I pity any maintainer who thinks that Nathanael isn't doing any work.

Yes, if done harshly maintainers will ignore the messages, but I don't think
that's happened so far - and there are several DDs who follow Nathanael's
information and act on it (myself included as I get myself back into packaging
after an enforced hiatus).

- Matt