Re: Heisenbugs (was: Filing bugs with upstream)

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 01:31:46PM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
> Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> schrieb:
>
> >     Let the maintainer decide what to do (i.e. close it if it is a
> >     Heisenbug, fix it and pass a patch upstream or pass it upstream,
> >     maybe by filing an upstream bug as well).
>
> I probably understand what you mean, but what exactly is a Heisenbug?
> What's the complementary quantity to buggyness that gives a product
> smaller than \hbar?

The Heisenbug is in allusion to Heisenbergs uncertainty principle:
a bug which vanishes if the system is changed enough to produce
necessary debug output.

Regards, David
--
  * Customer: "My palmtop won't turn on."
  * Tech Support: "Did the battery run out, maybe?"