Re: RFC: common database policy/infrastracture

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:55:29 +0100 (CET), Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
>
> > Because system passwords aren't 'needed' by any applications to
> > authenticate themselves to the system, while database passwords are.
> No, they are not needed in the file system.  They are needed inside
> the database and they are save there (assumed that the database server

safe?
Yes, but that's the other side of the authentication end. This is
about the client, not the server.

> has no bugs).
>
> > True, but how many database apps work without storing the password?
> At least these that do authentification directly against the database
> should not store their passwords in an extra file.  This is the case
> for the application I'm currently working on (GnuMed) where the
> client does the authentication via user interaction.

Is that the majority or the minority of applications?
Take for example a web application like a forum. It requires the
password so it can connect to the database. It can't/won't ask the
password from the user.