Re: /var/log on Debian systems

also sprach Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> [2004.12.14.0137 +0100]:
> No, not again. Please google a little bit more before proposing
> things. For example, read the complete logs for Bug #35504.

I read the complete log, and I read the thread at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-policy/2000/01/msg00273.html

However, where's the consensus. Having 2775:root:adm is stupid,
I agree. But where's the real argument against 2755:root:adm?

It seems that Debian wants to take the "allow everything unless
prohibited" approach to log files. The common approach given today's
security requirements is the opposite, "allow nothing unless
permitted".

If Debian wants to go the first path, why not enable the standard
inetd services throughout, to give just one example? Why not turn
off rp_filter? Why not add every new user to the staff group? Why
not make new homedirectories 775?

Sorry, but I truly do not see a "consensus" here.

`. `'`