Re: amd64: ftp-masters questions

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 00:05 +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004, Martin Michlmayr - Debian Project Leader wrote:
>>
>> > My recollection is that all technical concerns were addressed and that
>> > the port would go in after the mirror issues will be sorted out (which
>> > will happen some point after sarge).
>>
>> Why after sarge? Nobody knows when sarge will be released.

The arguments voiced were that the mirrors don't have enough space for
all of debian anymore and new architectures would only be added after
SCC (second class citizens, i.e. per architecture archives for partial
mirrors) has been implemented.

This entails two things (at least):

1. software changes (believed to be all done and in cvs)
2. policy changes for mirrors (put off until sarge is out)

Activation of above changes is also put off until after sarge probably
in fear of disrupting the archive while the sarge release is being done.

[This is all second/third/fourth hand knowledge and I do not speak for
ftp-master or the mirror team.]

Also note that soon 5 primary mirrors will carry debian-amd64 at twice
the space (a second set of 99% identical sources) on their own.

> Exactly.  If Sarge had been released in October or November, that
> would be one thing, but no one knows when it will be released.
>
> Thus, IMO, the AMD64 "gcc-3.4" branch should be moved into Sarge.

No way, please not gcc-3.4 and not sarge.

First of all the standard compiler for debian is 3.3 and works well on
amd64 too. The 3.3 branch (pure64) is better maintained and tested
having both sarge and sid.

Secondly the gcc-3.4 branch is now morphing into a 4.0 branch becoming
even more experimental.

Thirdly any move to sarge has to be preceeded by a move to sid. By all
means go for amd64 in sid but please keep sarge out of it. That is
step 2, needs a lot of testing in sid first and is the RMs decision.

MfG
        Goswin