Re: Depending on Virtual Packages (Public Service Announcement)

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 09:45:33PM +0000, Ari Pollak wrote:
> Daniel Burrows <dburrows <at> debian.org> writes:
> >   When your package Depends upon or Recommends a pure-virtual package P, you
> > should always OR the dependency with a dependency on something that provides
> > P,

> As a totally offtopic suggestion, how come APT doesn't handle virtual packages
> the way Fink does, where the user gets to choose which virtual package to
> install to satisfy the dependency?

Probably because apt is a back-end (nominally) and so doesn't do a lot
of questioning. Certainly things like aptitude, synaptic, dselect etc.
should. And possibly they do. ^_^

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.