Re: charsets in debian/control

[Matthew Garrett]
> Defining the character set as utf-8 means that any non-unicode
> capable application is going to have issues, yes.

Postulate an app that is ignorant of character sets - we'll call it
"aptitude".  Fixing it to make it accept utf-8 and spit out the correct
encoding for its LC_CTYPE is no harder than fixing it to make it accept
iso-8859-1 and spit out the correct encoding for its LC_CTYPE.

And if the app already deals with charset conversions but assumes
iso-8859-1 input, then it's trivial to fix it to assume utf-8 input.

Peter