[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Bug#283578: ITP: hot-babe -- erotic graphical system activity monitor

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:33:38 -0600, John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> said: 

> On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 10:32:37AM +0000, Tim Cutts wrote:
>> >I would ask, for this reason, that the software not be included in
>> >Debian main.
>> I think this is a strong argument.  But it probably also applies to
>> things like the bible.  There are countries in the world where
>> distributing the bible is illegal.  It is presumably therefore also
>> illegal to distribute Debian in those countries.
>> If there's going to be a policy of this sort it should be
>> consistent.

> We can't remove everything from Debian that is illegal some obscure
> place for some obscure reason.  We can't even *know* what these
> things are, and in this instance, you haven't cited a specific
> location where the Bible might be banned.

	China? Myanmar?

> In a more general sense, whether you are religious or not, there is
> no denying that the people inspired (for good or ill) by the Bible
> have left a remarkable impact on human history, influencing
> everything from the ancient Roman empire to the recent American
> election and slavery abolition movements in centuries past.  There
> is great historical and literary value there.  Even if one doesn't

	Pornography and prostitution (the oldest profession) have
 equally affected art and culture. Indeed, pornography is an early
 adopter, and drives all kinds of innovation in communication.

> believe the accounts there, it provides context for a great many
> events in our history on this planet.  There is a, IMO legitimate,
> argument that banning this work would indeed be banning something of
> value to scholars, researchers, and everyday citizens.

	As would banning the nudes done by old, dead, flemish
 paintrers.  Oh, these are not wrth what those nudes are, you say. So
 now it comes down to Debian being an art critic, and saying what
 nudes constitue art, and what do not. 

	Yes, the package may be in bad taste, in my opinion. But so is
 vi, also in my opinion.  Opinions of bad taste ought not to be
 deciding factors for inclusion of stuff in main.

> Such could hardly be said for a stripping CPU monitor, which seems
> to have no useful purpose at all.  "Appeals solely to the prurient
> interest" in the words of some American laws.  In a few rural
> Southern counties, I believe it is illegal even for adults to
> possess such material.

	In mobile, it is illegal to direct a young white male to a
 game of pool, so all the pool games in Debian are technically illegal
 in Mobile.

	There are a number of locations where gambling is illegal, as
 are all games of chance.

	Hmm. Do I see us ripping out the poker games from Debian?

	How about all them shoot 'em up violent games that lead oiur
 youth to murder and mayhem? Do we scrap them too?


Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason it was put
up. G.K. Chesterton
Manoj Srivastava   <srivasta@debian.org>  <http://www.debian.org/%7Esrivasta/>
1024D/BF24424C print 4966 F272 D093 B493 410B  924B 21BA DABB BF24 424C

Reply to: