Re: reducing the number of (user visible) packages

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch> writes:

> This is inspired by Goswin's recent post about the libfoo-common/libfoo
> pairs of packages, which will become even more frequent with multiarch.
>
> Disclaimer: No, I won't have time to work on it - sorry, folks.  And anyway,
> this is post sarge.
>
> Proposal: split packages into 'conventional' debs and support debs.
>
> conventional debs would be real, normal packages.
>
> support debs would
>  - never be displayed by any frontend (except by turning on all debugging
> etc. etc.)
>  - have no installation scripts
>  - have no files in /usr/share/docs
>  - have no package description

Just a few thoughts late at night:

- existing dpkg/apt/aptitude/dselect has to keep working so we need a
  full Packages file

- support packages could have a short description of "support package"
  and "see foobar" as long description

- an extra field could be added to such packages so frontends can hide
  them (or they just hide all "support package" descriptions. A
  "support" section could also work.

- the Depends/Conflicts of support packages should already be covered
  by the main package and then the stanzas for them would be realy
  short

MfG
        Goswin