Re: deselect survey

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 11:44 +0100, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder
wrote:
> On Monday 22 November 2004 11.09, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > I threw them in the
> > card sorter that's in the middle of the living room and had the
> > 2.6.9 kernel sorted in only 5 hours and 8 passes.
>
> 6390549 * 8 / 5 == 10224878.4 cards per hour or 2840 cards per second.  I'd
> like to see that sorter.
>
> Cards moving at least at 142m/s (511km/h), assuming they are roughly 5cm
> wide.

<snicker>  Here's reality:
http://www.computerhistory.org/VirtualVisibleStorage/artifact_frame.php?tax_id=01.02.02.00

  Model 080 Card Sorter
  1925
  IBM Corporation, United States

  Sorting data into either numerical or alphabetic order is one
  of the most basic office automation functions. The Model 080
  sorted cards by reading the characters punched into one column
  and then routing the card to the corresponding output pocket.
  Sorting by complete numbers or names required multiple passes.

  The 080 sorter was the most popular of all of IBM's punched card
  equipment in the pre-computing era. In 1943, there were over
  10,000 units on lease.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

Remember when environmental doom-and-gloomers said that it would
take 10 years to put out the 750 post-GW1 oil fires? Yet they
were all out in 6 months.
Remember when environmental doom-and-gloomers said in ~1975 that
the oil would run out in 50 years?