Re: Which 2.6 kernel for Sarge on a Via C3?

Darren Salt wrote:
> I demand that Ron Johnson may or may not have written...
>
> [snip]
> > But really, does the kernel use MMX?
>
> Here, at least: linux/arch/i386/lib/memcpy.c

Which will only be used for CyrixIII and K7, and boils down to:

config MCYRIXIII
        bool "CyrixIII/VIA-C3"
        help
          Select this for a Cyrix III or C3 chip.  Presently Linux and GCC
          treat this chip as a generic 586. Whilst the CPU is 686 class,
          it lacks the cmov extension which gcc assumes is present when
          generating 686 code.
          Note that Nehemiah (Model 9) and above will not boot with this
          kernel due to them lacking the 3DNow! instructions used in earlier
          incarnations of the CPU.

IOW, it's useless for a somewhat generic kernel.

Thiemo