Re: any comments on diagram?

Kevin Mark [u] wrote on 09/11/2004 18:29:

i made a diagram in xfig of what I think is the debian development
model. Could folks give me a few comments on what's not correct.
http://kmark.home.pipeline.com/debian.png

AFAICT from my limited debian expertise ;-), there is at least one mistake in that diagram:

backports are ports of packages from unstable and/or testing to stable,
   not ports of 3rd party software to stable.
Also, backports are _not_ part of Debian/stable.

volatile (not volitile) has been discussed for some time now, but to the best of my knowledge, it doesn't currently exist.

If you list "security source" as a source for sources (SCNR), the arrow from "debian sources" to stable/security is wrong. Security fixes may be merged into the debian sources tree, but you will most likely never see any direct introduction of a package from the generic upload area (which you seem to call "debian source") to stable/security.

If I'm not completely mistaken myself, a "normal" DD can upload to:

unstable
testing-proposed-updates
stable-proposed-updates

From unstable, a package goes into testing when it has no RC bugs filed against it and is at leats 10 days old.

From testing-proposed-updates (which is only useful when testing is frozen during preparation of a new stable release), it goes into testing if the release-manager is convinced that it does more good than harm to include it.

From testing, a package goes into stable when testing was frozen, the package has no RC bugs filed against it and a new stable release is published.

From stable-proposed-updates, a package goes into stable when the release manager is convinced this update is needed and its negative side-effects (if they exist) are unavoidable and less important than the positive effect of doing that update.

security updates are done by the security team. they can (and usually do) upload directly into the security archives (stable/security and sometimes testing/security).

volatile is still non-existant and therefore has no policy in place. But I would assume that it should be handled similarly to stable-proposed-updates, but with a different release manager (team) and a very slightly less strict policy regarding acceptable negative side effects.

backports are completely outside Debian for now. There has been some talk about it during the volatile discussion, indicating that there should be some backports archive within Debian should be a sort of componentized archive allowing to install selected applications from testing on a stable platform. If this is implemented, the package would not come from a 3rd party source, but from the testing archive (with fixes to allow it to run on stable).

regards,
sven

--
"Pinguine können ja bekanntlich nicht fliegen und stürzen deshalb auch nicht ab."
RTL-Nachtjournal über Linux, 29.10.2004