Re: YaST2 for Debian (aka nYaST)

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Mario Fux wrote:

> Good morning
>
> Abstract:
> I search a person (or more than one) who is interested to port Yast2 from
> Novell/SuSE to Debian. I'd like to spend some money and/or hardware for this
> task (I can't spend that much because I'm a student who lives from grants)
> and perhaps some organizational help.

Dear Mario,

I was until recently the Debian maintainer of webmin/usermin.  I have
filed an ITP (Intent to Package) for Yast2.  And I intend to look into it,
the hold up at the moment is I am expecting the birth of a baby boy almost
any day now. Certainly financial help would speed things up a little but
thats the main block.

The first time I brought this up there were concerns about the license
iirc but according to a Novell rep I talked to once, they do intend it to
be used by other distros so we can hopefully count on them to help resolve
any problems.  I doubt if they would contribute any money though but
asking is worth a try.

It's going to take a _lot_ of work to adapt yast2 to Debian, more than
just tweaking a few config files.

> This (or a similar) email goes to the following mailinglists (I'm subscribed
> to all of them):
> - debian-desktop [3]
> - debian-devel [4]
> - kalyxo and kalyxo-devel [5] & [6]
> - debian-cdd [7]

We should probably consolidate discussion on, say, debian-desktop.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>