Re: GPL and command-line libraries

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 05:30:36PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> Given that Mr. Wontshare's client represents only a small investment of
> effort, "refuses to port" doesn't sound like much of a problem.

I meant to say relatively small investment; sorry.
Even simple applications can be hard to rewrite though.
Especially, if Mr. Wontshare is evil and uses encrypted traffic protected
by good old DRM.

> Mr. Wontshare (or someone else) puts your library behind a simply api
> and then builds some application which uses that api, and yet refuses
> to release his code.

I am aware of that, this is why none of my suggested remedies were:
don't make a simple API.

> Someone works with the ecc concepts behind your code and reimplements
> them in some proprietary code base.

I am perfectly fine with this.
If they put in the effort to write it themselves, all power to them.
I just don't want people who don't share to freeload off my work.

I personally hate any kind of algorithm patent, so I wouldn't opt for
that solution. I just included it as an option for completeness.

--
Wesley W. Terpstra <wesley@terpstra.ca>