Re: GPL and command-line libraries

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 09:53:21PM +0100, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> If someone writes a program that does: popen('my-api');
> does the GPL require that program to also be GPL?
> From the short answer I got on IRC it seemed the answer was: No!

See http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLPluginsInNF, which (among
other things) says:

  If the program uses fork and exec to invoke plug-ins, then the plug-ins are
  separate programs, so the license for the main program makes no requirements
  for them. So you can use the GPL for a plug-in, and there are no special
  requirements.

> 4. Writing to debian-legal and asking for advice.

debian-legal is the right mailing list; please repost there.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/