Re: xephem?

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 03:31:17PM -0700, Elwood C. Downey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have heard through the grape vine that Debian will no longer include
> our XEphem astronomy program in its list of packages. We regret to
> hear this. I would like to know if this rumor is true and if there is
> anything we can do to get back on the good graces of Debian.

This is true, see http://bugs.debian.org/270695 for a log of what
happened. The reason is that the (previous) maintainer doesn't have the
time to maintain this package.

Since Debian is a volonteer organisation, and nobody has stepped up yet
to reintroduce it, you can do one of the following things if you want it
back:

1) File a Request For Package (RFP), and hope that someone will solve
   the issues with the last package and reintroduce it in Debian
   See http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp
2) Reintroduce the package yourself (you'll need to read a lot of
   documentation before you can do so, it requires quite some work).
3) If you don't want to do that, you can pay sommeone, possibly someone
   already active in Debian, to do #2 for you

> If this is the wrong address to send this kind of note, pleasae
> forward to the proper party (I checked the long list of possible
> emails for contacting Debian and this sounded like the best one).

I think debian-devel@lists.debian.org is the best audience for your
question, I've cc'ed that list.

--Jeroen

--